Visas: Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a Special Administrative Region (SAR) and has separate immigration regulations from those of the People's Republic of China. It’s vibrant, densely populated urban centre is a major port and global financial hub with a skyscraper-studded skyline.

Australian tourists do not require visas for visits of less than 90 days. However, if you enter Hong Kong on a visitor visa, you are not allowed to take up any employment, paid or unpaid, or join in any business, or study at a school, university or other educational institution.

If you are intending to work in Hong Kong, seek information from the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Immigration Department well in advance of your intended travel date.


The GEP is for the employment of professionals in Hong Kong. The GEP is quota-free and non-sector specific.


  • The applicant has an education background, a first degree in the relevant field or technical qualifications, proven professional abilities and relevant experience and achievements;
  • The applicant has a confirmed offer of employment and is employed in a job relevant to their academic qualifications or work experience that cannot be readily taken up by the local workforce;
  • The remuneration package including income, accommodation, medical and other benefits is broadly commensurate with the prevailing market level for professionals in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).

Applicants should complete application form ID 990A. The employing companies should complete application form ID 990B. It normally takes four weeks to process visa/entry permit applications for employment upon receipt of all the required documents.

While each application is determined on its individual merit, an applicant should meet normal immigration requirements (such as holding a valid travel document with adequate returnability to his/her country of residence or citizenship; be of clear criminal record and raise no security or criminal concerns to the HKSAR etc.) as well as the relevant specific eligibility criteria detailed above before he/she may be considered for the grant of a visa/entry permit.


The purpose of the Scheme is to facilitate cultural and educational exchange between Hong Kong and the participating country with a view to strengthening the bilateral relationship between the two places. Under the arrangements of the Scheme, you may take up short-term employment and/or enrol in a short study or training course while you are on holiday in Hong Kong.


  • Must hold a valid national passport issued by the participating country and is ordinarily residing in that participating country;
  • Primary intention is to holiday in Hong Kong;
  • Must be aged between 18 and 30;
  • Be able to produce financial proof of having an amount sufficient for his/her maintenance during his/her proposed stay in the HKSAR, e.g. bank statement, saving accounts passbooks, etc;
  • Complete the Working Holiday Visa application form ID(E)940.

If you are already in Hong Kong and have enquiries about Hong Kong visa matters, visit the Hong Kong SAR Immigration Department at 7 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong, (tel: (852) 2824 6111) or online at

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to date information, you will need to check in with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.