Visas: United Arab Emirates

Being a world’s business hub, Dubai produces thousands of jobs every year for both Skilled professionals and Unskilled labours. With Dubai’s metropolitan culture and central location, the diversity offers a remarkable opportunity to develop many skills on many different levels to broaden one’s horizons.

Australians are eligible for a free 30-day visitor visa-on-arrival. You can extend this at a UAE immigration office a further 30 days for United Arab Emirates Dirhams (AED) 600.

If you're visiting the UAE for business you must apply for a different visa. If you're travelling to and through the UAE on a diplomatic and official passport, you must have a visa before travelling.


  • It usually takes approximately 2-3 weeks all up to process if your documents are complete and correct;
  • It costs approximately 1500 AED – 2000 AED for the Visa application process;
  • Every employer/company provides their own work visa and you cannot switch between companies using the same work visa;
  • The Work Visa for Dubai is valid for approximately three years.

Procuring a work visa involves Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) and the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA) of the emirate where a person is employed.

The process starts with procuring a work permit for an expatriate from MoHRE. The work permit allows the holder to enter the UAE for employment and it is valid for two months from the date of issue.

After the employee enters the UAE on the basis of the work permit, the sponsoring company arranges to complete the formalities of medical testing, obtaining UAE Resident Identity (Emirates ID) Card, Labour Card and stamping the work residency permit on his/her passport within a scope of 60 days. The work residency permit on the employee's passport denotes that he/she is sponsored by the company he/she is employed by.

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to date information, you will need to check in with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.