Visas: Singapore

Singapore is one of the most globalised economies in the world, and with a population of only five million the country is highly interested in acquiring new residents to boost the country’s economy to soaring heights.

There are three main visas for professionals.


For foreign professionals, managers and executives.

  • An employer or appointed employment agent needs to apply on behalf of the candidate.
  • First-time candidates have up to two years duration on their visa, and renewals can go up to three years.
  • Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
  • If you are an overseas employer that does not have a registered in Singapore, then you need to get a Singapore-registered company to act as a local sponsor and apply on your behalf.
  •  Eligibility:
    1. Have a job offer in Singapore already
    2. Work in a managerial executive or specialised job


For eligible foreign entrepreneurs wanting to start and operate a new business in Singapore.

  • Candidates can apply directly themselves
  • The visa duration goes up to 1 year and is renewable under specific criteria


For high-earning existing Employment Pass holders or overseas foreign professionals. The PEP offers greater flexibility than an Employment pass.

  • Candidates can apply directly themselves
  • The visa is non-renewable and holds a three-year duration
  • You can apply for this visa if you are:
    1. An Employment Pass holder earning a fixed salary of at least $12,000
    2. An overseas foreign professional and your last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas was at least $18,000
  • To keep holding the visa, you cannot be unemployed in Singapore for more than six months at any time
  • This is the most flexible visa; for example, you can generally hold a job in any sector and you do not need to re-apply for a new pass if you change jobs.

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to do date information, you will need to check in with the Singaporean Ministry of Manpower or the Australian High Commission of Singapore before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.