Visas: Ireland

Working in Ireland gives you the chance to explore this fascinating country and get to know the friendly Irish people and their culture. Australian passport holders do not require a visa to enter Ireland but may be subject to immigration control when they entering the country.


If you want to work during your holiday in Ireland, you need to apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA) from your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate.


You must have enough money to support yourself for at least the first part of your holiday or in case you don’t find work. Immigration officials may ask for proof that you have sufficient funds when you enter Ireland.


We strongly recommend that you get private medical insurance to cover any costs in case you have an accident or fall ill while in Ireland.


The market for short-term casual work in Ireland is highly competitive and adequately supplied by the large number of school leavers and other young Irish and EU nationals looking for work. If you have your WHA, it is not a guarantee that you will find work.


Even if you have a WHA, you’re still subject to normal immigration controls when you enter Ireland. As a non-EU national, you must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days. There is a fee of €300 for the issue of a Garda (police) registration card. You will be permitted to engage in short-term casual work once you have received the appropriate immigration stamp.


The Irish General Work Permit is an employment permit which allows a non-EU citizen to work legally in Ireland for an employer in a particular occupation. The permit is initially granted for two years. This employment permit is granted to applicants with job offer. 

To be eligible for an Ireland Work Permit, your job offer needs to be from an employer registered and trading in Ireland. At least 50% of the employees have to be EEA nationals, unless the company is a start-up.


  • The employee or the employer can apply for this Ireland work permit, and the application will need to include evidence that it has not been possible to find an EEA or Swiss national to fill the position.
  • To be eligible for General Employment Permit the applicant must have job offer. A detailed description of the proposed employment is required as well as needed qualifications.
  • Salary must be above €30,000.

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to date information, you will need to check in with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.