Visas: France

Paris is one of the great art repositories of the world, is at the forefront of international fashion trends, and with over three dozen startup incubators, is fast becoming Europe's innovation capital. Paris draws talent from all corners of the world; Australia is no exception.


Australia has had a reciprocal "Working Holiday" maker arrangement with France since 2003. This category allows young Australians to experience French culture and lifestyle, with an extended holiday and incidental employment for 12 months (non-renewable).


  1. You have to be between the ages of 18 to 30 years at the
    time of application.
  2. The only place where you can apply is the Consulate General in Sydney. Your passport will be returned 2 weeks after your application, but if you are flying from another city, then give it a few more days in order to allow for any delays.
  3. Once employment in France is found, WHV holders must apply for a Temporary Work Permit (autorisation provisoire de travail) at the nearest French Labour Department (Direction Départementale du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Formation professionnelle). This temporary work permit will be granted for the duration of the position.



This visa is for those interested in creating or running a Business/Company; the maximum duration is four years on a renewable basis. There are 3 main categories and these impact the type of residence permit you apply for:

Forming a company - Talent Passport: New Business residence permit. Requirements include:

  • A qualification corresponding to a master’s degree or equivalent, or at least five years’ commensurate professional experience.
  • Existence of a real and serious plan to form an economically viable business in France.
  • An investment of at least €30,000 in the planned business.

Becoming a company director - Talent Passport: Company Director residence permit. Requirements include:

  • Evidence of 3 months’ service in an establishment or
    business belonging to the same group, as an employee or
    company director.

Setting up a startup - Talent Passport: Innovative Project residence permit. Requirements include:

  • An innovative business project you want to develop in
  • Recognition of the project by a public sector body(central government, local authorities, etc.)
  • Sufficient annual financial means corresponding to the statutory national minimum wage.


This visa is if you are coming to work in France under an employer based there. Foreign employees can obtain a multi-year Talent Passport residence permit if they meet the eligibility criteria specific to the reason for their stay in France.


  1. If you are being transferred between companies in the same group, your residence permit will fall under either Inter-Company Transfer, or Talent Passport-Employee on Assignment
  2. Alternatively, someone coming to France to work without
    being transferred will need a VLS-TS Visa marked ‘Employee.’ The residence permit will either be temporary or general multi-year depending on the job.
  3. A residence card can be received afterwards.


France wants to bring about a new generation of world-leading
companies, boost innovation, and create jobs in the French economy;
they allow people to come in with a four-year visa.


  1. There are a few requirements:
    • A graduate degree (master's degree or higher)
    • A work contract with a minimum duration of 3 months with a French company eligible to recruit via the French Tech Visa
    • A gross annual salary of at least €35,526.40 (twice the French minimum wage as of January 1st, 2017)
  2. In your home country, you should apply for a long-stay visa and residence permit marked "Passeport Talent" ("Talent Passport") at the French Consulate in your usual place of residence no earlier than 3 months before the date of your arrival in France.
  3. It also allows your spouse to be automatically granted the “Talent Passport-Family” residence permit so they can work there as well.

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to do date information, you will need to check in with the French Consulate General of France in Australia or the Schengen Visa Information page before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.