Visas: China

China is quickly growing to be one of the most sought after destinations for Australian expats to work and live in.

Click here to download our infographic with information on obtaining a work visa for China.


The Z visa is valid for only 30 days from the date of arrival, during which time you and your employer must seek a Temporary Residence Permit for the duration of your contract. A contract can be a minimum of 90 days and maximum of five years.

You can apply for the visa in person or by mail through the Chinese Visa Application Service Centres located in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane (to find them, please go to: and choose the appropriate city).

You can also apply for the visa online.


  1. Original passport
  2. Passport copy
  3. Visa Application form
  4. Passport sized photo
  5. Last passport (if issued after 01/01/2015)
  6. Previous Visa (if applicable)
  7. Visa Notification
  8. Work Permit

For more detailed information, please refer to:

This is intended as a guide only. To find the most up to date information, you will need to check in with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China in Australia before applying for a visa. Advance always recommends reaching out to a qualified immigration attorney for legal advice about your specific situation.