ARE YOU PLANNING TO RETURN HOME?
Here are some useful tips from Advance members who have done it:
- Go into each stage in life – like returning home – knowing you’ll have to do things differently. Commit to being back for two years to make it work. Have a plan and prepare yourself and others around you for what’s coming.
- Be very clear on why you’re returning. If your overseas job is big in scope and size, you must be emotionally ready in case you need to reduce your role to work in Australia.
- If you have a global job, you have to frame that experience differently, put it in context by explaining why your knowledge is important to Australian organisations.
- Networking is absolutely key. You may need to spend a year networking, to find your way around the Australian market.
- Many large organisations have a mobility person who you can go to and begin to network and get ideas.
- If you are looking to transfer home within the same organisation you need to take ownership of the process and make contacts across the organisation.
- Another option to consider if you find your skills don’t fit in the Australian market, is to open your own business. Strip the surface level away of your international experience and look at your core talents.
- Find a mentor: someone to help you package your international experience for the Australian market and offer cultural and strategic advice.
- If you invested in your career to move offshore in the first place, invest your own money to get back, especially if you’ve been gone a long time.
- Be aware that when you’re being interviewed it is important to package your international experience so it has relevance to the job and an Australian context.
- Formulate a specific plan. Then ask recruitment agencies about openings they may have other than what you apply for. You need to do a lot of work in preparation, and in meeting people
- Accept that coming back to work in Australia is not going to be the same as the business abroad, and that family and friends may not have the same world view that you have developed during your time away.
- Tap into Advance to network hard, find people and connect with them. Advance members who have returned home want to help others returning.
- We've captured some of our member's comments about repatriation here.
Check out some stories from members who have made the move back home:
US and more
UK, PNG and US
If you want to advertise a job, please email email@example.com.