The Australian High Commission in Singapore invites applications for the position of Driver/Corporate Assistant. The duty statement and selection criteria are provided below.
The Australian High Commission is the official representative of the Australian Government in Singapore. We provide a range of services to the general public, including consular, passport, visa and immigration, citizenship and cultural relations services. We also act on behalf of various Australian Government authorities by representing Australia's interests to local, regional and multilateral government and business organisations in Singapore.
The Driver/Corporate Assistant will perform driving duties for the Australian High Commission and will also be required to undertake a variety of administrative support to the Australian High Commission’s corporate teams.
Tasks and Functions
Duties of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Chauffeur for VIPs and staff members.
- Hand delivery and/or collection of documents and other goods
- Undertaking photocopying, laminating and binding and assist with setting-up of offices in hotels for visiting VIPs.
- When required, assist with the collection, processing and delivery of incoming and outgoing mail and freight including diplomatic mail bags.
- Assist with management and ordering of general office supplies including drinking water for water dispensers; replacing water bottles
- Weekly cleaning and checking of official vehicles, top up water, oil, battery water, fuel; etc where necessary and report any defects detected to the transport supervisor immediately. Submission of the required vehicle inspection form at the beginning of each month. Sending of official vehicles for yearly inspection and renewing of road tax.
- Common Services:
- Application/cancellation of Mobil fleet cards for A-based personnel vehicles.
- Management of the Australian High Commission’s ERP road toll/car parking cards
- Assist in preparing of program booklets for VIP visits
- Distribute faxes/mail to various agencies accordingly
- Customs valuation for vehicle purchases for A-Based staff
- Assist with Stocktakes as required
- Other administrative duties as required
- Assist with minor property maintenance works at Chancery and leased staff residences.
- Arrangements of furniture for official functions and minor furniture removals to and from staff residences.
- Franking of mail; posting of mail and dispensing of petrol which include the maintenance of proper accounting records.
The successful application for the position will possess the following:
- Excellent customer service and proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proven ability to follow directions, solve routine problems and determine priorities. Ability to work individually and as a member of a team, with minimal supervision;
- Be able to communicate clearly in English (both in writing and orally)
- Must have a Singapore drivers licence with an impeccable record and an excellent knowledge of Singapore roads and road laws.
- Ability to operate a variety of software packages and quickly learn new computer applications
Conditions of Appointment
Employment at the High Commission is subject to the successful completion of a Singaporean police clearance, and a medical clearance.
Normal hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm; however there will be a regular need to do overtime outside of these hours and on weekends. The initial contract is for 24 months, with an option for a further 24 months subject to satisfactory performance. A bonus of 1.5 months’ salary is paid annually in December and additional performance-based salary increases or bonus are offered. The monthly salary starts at SGD$2,534.
How to Apply
The High Commission will establish a Selection Advisory Committee (SAC) to assess applications, conduct interviews, check referee reports and prepare a report for the delegate recommending the most suitable applicant.
Applicants are advised to pay close attention to the duty statement and address the selection criteria when preparing their application. Based on the information provided in the applications it receives, the SAC will shortlist applicants for interview.
Applications will only be accepted when submitted via the job application pack accompanying this advertisement
Applications should be submitted electronically to email@example.com or by post marked “Staff-in-Confidence” to the following address:
Australian High Commission
25 Napier Road
The selection process usually takes several weeks and applicants will be advised of the final outcome. If another similar position becomes vacant within the next 12 months, the order of merit for this position may be considered for such vacancies.
Australian Government objectives, under which the High Commission operates, can be found on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website (www.dfat.gov.au).
Applications close midnight, Sunday 20 May 2018.