Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Communications Officer
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Communications, Press and Media
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities): Plan, create and deliver communications and public relations activity that advance the British Government’s trade, investment and prosperity efforts in Australia and New Zealand.
Roles and responsibilities
PR/Communications: proactively develop and manage PR/media opportunities to support trade and investment campaigns and deliver outcomes including:
- Generation of creative ideas and delivery of PR and media support for trade and investment campaigns and events.
- Help to identify story opportunities; organise media interviews; write briefings
- Write and distribute media releases and media advisories
- Draft articles, press releases, blogs and case studies for various channels
- Maintain editorial calendar with suitable story ideas to support sector campaigns
- Create and update media contact lists
- Build strong relationships with trade and business media contacts and a strong understanding of business and trade media landscape
- Monthly DIT newsletter - write/compile using EDM software for external distribution
- Media monitoring, monthly comms reports and campaign evaluation
- Support wider DIT Marcomms and FCO Communications teams across ANZ as needed
Social Media: Proactively manage DIT's social media accounts and develop plan to drive stronger engagement with our audiences (Twitter, LinkedIN, FB)
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video, audio, HTML)
- Weekly content plan to support tactical opportunities and sector campaigns
- Keep up to date with digital & social media tools and trends and recommend new ways of engaging our audience
- Manage/keep updated DIT Australia web content using web-based editing tool.
- Evaluate campaigns and use insights to inform future activity and build social media engagement.
Events & Collateral
- Deliver engaging live social media coverage of events including live-tweeting with pics/video.
- Basic photography and video of events as required
- Write/edit copy for promotional material, collateral and event invitations and project manage as required;
- Assist / cover as required for event, brand and direct marketing activity
- Identify and write internal news stories for DIT intranet and news bulletin
- Maintain up to date files in shared area
- Assist with preparation, briefings and media/communications for visiting officials, dignitaries and business specialists.
- Maintain working knowledge of available DIT and GREAT Britain content and brand assets
- Generate new content as required
- Ensure all marketing and communications material/activity comply with GREAT and DIT brand guidelines.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Bachelors degree (or higher) in Communications, Journalism or Public Relations
- 1 to 2 years work experience in a communications role
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills for both traditional and new media
- Demonstrated experience in planning, delivering and evaluating communications activity/campaigns
- Experience managing corporate or government social media account(s)
- Ability to create rich media content for social media eg: using smart phone for photography, video and editing; creation of infographics/gifs.
- Knowledge of Australian business and trade media landscape
- Ability to source and maintain network of media contacts