Executive Level 1 and APS Level 6, Australian Space Agency
The Australian Space Agency (the Agency) is a new entity to be located in the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science and will commence from 1 July 2018. The purpose of the Agency is to transform and grow a globally respected Australian space industry that lifts the broader economy, inspires and improves the lives of Australians – underpinned by strong international and national engagement.
Our ideal candidates
The successful applicants will have:
- the ability to lead teams (Executive Level 1)
- the ability to lead projects (APS Level 6) and deliver significant results
- team work experience and interpersonal skills of the highest order
- strong stakeholder engagement, communication and collaboration skills
- excellent strategic thinking, policy analysis and conceptual skills
- expertise relevant to the responsibilities of the Australian Space Agency (e.g. the preferred area of responsibility identified below)
What you will do
Applications are sought for multiple positions within the Agency. The Executive Level 1 and APS Level 6 officers support the Executive Directors and Agency Executive in the delivery of the Agency’s purpose covering the following areas:
- Space strategy and policy – work on the development of Australia’s national space strategy and policy.
- Policy coordination and communications – assist with the coordination of Agency activities, internal and external communications as well as the administration of the Agency.
- International and national growth – assist with industry/business development and facilitation activities nationally and internationally (e.g. with both industry and other space agency counterparts).
- Program and industry capability – maintain awareness of the state of the art for the space industry, support strategic priority setting and support engagement with states and territories.
- Space regulations and international obligations – assist with the development of regulatory reform, undertake regulatory activities under the Space Activities Act 1998, prepare subordinate legislation for the Space Activities (Launches and Returns) Bill 2018 and support the Australian Government’s international space obligations
Executive Level 1 officers may be required to:
- develop, interpret and provide high level policy advice on matters relating to the Australian Space Agency
- have in-depth knowledge of, and compliance with legislative, financial and administrative frameworks, government decision-making processes and agency guidelines and regulations (or ability to develop these skills quickly)
- provide input into the strategic direction of the Australian Space Agency
- exercise a considerable degree of independence and perform a leadership role
- coordinate and undertake detailed or sensitive projects that impact on strategic, political or operational outcomes
- develop and manage a range of internal and external stakeholder relationships
- represent the agency at cross-agency meetings and other forums
APS Level 6 officers may be required to:
- work under limited direction with the opportunity for reasonable autonomy and accountability
- exercise initiative and judgment in the interpretation, drafting, review and provision of advice on policy matters relating to the Australian Space Agency
- assist in strategic planning, program and project management for the team
- develop, manage and liaise with a range of stakeholders in a representational role
- have knowledge of and compliance with legislative, financial and administrative frameworks, government decision-making processes and agency guidelines and regulations (or ability to develop these skills quickly)